Since 2015 members and guests of Temple Beth El have been meeting to discuss issues pertaining to the State of Israel. Under Rabbi Naomi's guidance, the group studied the history of diverse Zionist movements and documents critical to Israeli history. For the past few years the group has focused on discussing current events as presented in articles from the Israeli and American press. Currently TBE
member Oren Nachson is sharing photos and reflections on his work as a photojournalist in Israel. The group is open to any TBE member interested in friendly discussion of the challenging issues facing Israel.
The first three years of the Israel Study & Discussion Group were devoted to a methodical examination of the history of Israel/Palestine, from the origins of Zionism, through the various aliyot and the founding of Israel, up to the present. Readings from the following books helped to inform our discussions:
- The Zionist Idea: A Historical Analysis and Reader, by Arthur Herzberg, 1997.
- Critical Documents of Jewish History: A Sourcebook, by Ronald H. Isaacs and Kerry M. Olitzky, 1995
- Palestine and the Arab-Israeli Conflict: A History with Documents, by Charles D. Smith, Seventh Edition, 2010.
- The Question of Palestine, by Edward W. Said, 1992
- Palestinian Identity: The Construction of Modern National Consciousness, by Rashid Khalidi, 1997
- The Iron Cage: The Story of the Palestinian Struggle for Statehood, by Rashid Khalidi, 2006
This group meets intermittently. Check the TBE Calendar for the date and time of the next Israel Study & Discussion Group meeting.
The resources on this page are presented to further understanding and stimulate discussion, and do not necessarily represent the views and opinions of Temple Beth El.